Removing Application UAC Requirements with Shims
This guide will show you how to create shims that allow regular users to run applications that normally require local admin. Shims should only be used as a measure of last resort. In many cases simply granting users to certain folders or reg keys eliminates the need to create a shim. You can use LUA Buglight to identify what those reg keys/files are.
How it works
Things to keep in mind:
- Shims should be installed after the application
- Shims might need to be re-installed if an application is updated
- Not all apps play well with shims. Make sure to test the application before putting it into production
Creating the Shim
- Open the Compatibility Administrator
- Click on New Database
- Right Click and select Create New
- Select Application Fix
- For name enter "%ApplicationName% Shim"
- Browse for the path of the exe
- Under compatibility modes select "RunAsInvoker"
- Click next and finish on all other prompts until it takes you back to the main screen
- Click Save at the top
- For Name enter "%ApplicationName% Shim"
- For the .sdb file give it whatever name is appropriate